Licton Springs
WelcomeLocal InterestNeighborhood in ActionCommunity CouncilCurrents

February 2011

January 2011

November 2010

North Precinct Reports


Minutes of Community Meeting March 16, 2011,
NSCC Conference Room B2311

Directors Present:
Liz Kearns , Tom Meyer, Kay Mesirow, and Ellen Beck.

Board Representatives Present:
Ken Thompson (Liaison to North Precinct) and Kathleen Braden (List Serve).

Bruce Kieser (Facilities and Plant Operations Director for North Seattle Community College), Jean Wirch, Robin McCain, and Carol Burton.President Liz Kearns called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. We had introductions around the table. All visitors were warmly welcomed.

The February 16, 2011 minutes were approved as presented.


Sidewalk on North 100th
Robin McCain brought plans and drawings and talked about the grant she had obtained for sidewalks on North 100th. The sidewalks are being done section by section. Robin said she believed that the grant had been awarded because we have a design plan, and this influences us getting additional grants. There was discussion about the streetscape and our Master Plan. Robin acknowledged that the cost for sidewalk sections has doubled since the sidewalks on 100th project first began.

Kay Mesirow advised that the $90,000.00 grant should be used on the easiest section since any topography that required banking, etc. would eat up so much of the money.

The project manager is Theresa Smith. She will do a walk-through in the coming weeks. Robin said she would get the word out as soon as she knew when the walk through would take place. There should also be a discussion of drainage problems discussed with Project Manager Smith.

P-Patch at NSCC.
Liz Kearns attended the P-Patch meeting before coming to the LSCC meeting. She reported that Christian has a plan and proposal. He now needs people to sign up and work on the project. There is a matching funds grant. Christian will e-mail Liz the forms and she will bring them to our next meeting. What is holding up the project now is the College.

  1. The College wants the P-Patch group to suggest more than one location. This is hard because of the existing buildings and facilities, and the amount of "wet" areas and areas that could be exposed to possible air pollution from nearby roadways or I-5. Liz said she suggested Christian contact Michael Brokaw.
  2. The lease agreement is the DoN form agreement. The College has to come up with its own version.

Bruce Kieser commented he thought it was a little early to be discouraged! The decision maker in this is budget cuts. The P-Patch needs to be presented in whole. Christian has to now present the whole concept for the 10,000 square foot P Patch.

Pedestrian Bridge
Bruce reported SDOT crews have been surveying the area for the pedestrian bridge. The project is going forward. The bridge will be north of 100th where the noll is. Because the height at one point is 80 feet, a zoning change needs to be obtained.

Bruce said the new building is scheduled for official occupancy on May 1. There will be an open house with the Governor and other speakers.

Their next building project is in detailed design and not in the budget as yet. This is the north two thirds of the Technology Building, where they want to get rid of the plaza and put a second floor on the building. October Burglar Arrested and Convicted. Ellen shared an e-mail to the Licton Springs hotmail account. The burglar who broke into many homes in the neighborhood back in October was arrested and convicted and sentenced on March 4th to 102 months, for 11 counts of residential burglary and one count theft of a firearm!

501(c)(3) Status Report
Ellen reported she had nothing new, but could recap the "Status" e-mail sent recently. She finished a draft of the Amended Articles of Incorporation, with the 501(c)(3) provisions sent by our IRS agent and approved at our last meeting. The next step was to get together with Jan Brucker to go through the Amended Articles to make further changes if necessary, and that hadn’t happened as yet. When the Articles are ready for review, they will be e-mailed for comment.

Land Use and Zoning
Tom Meyer reported that there was very little of note to report. He reported the NSCC SEPA for the new building, and that the Subway Store in Oak Tree was dividing to create public space.

North Precinct
Ken Thompson reported Captain Dan Oliver is retiring, and also Officer Diane Horswill. With Officer Horswill’s retirement, there is no crime prevention officer in the North Precinct.

Mayor McGinn is going to visit the Northgate neighborhood on Saturday, March 19th, from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

April 1st, from 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. is a Community Leaders breakfast meeting that Liz has been invited to attend. The College has recently identified three core themes for the College: Advancing Student Success, Excelling in Teaching and Learning, and Building Community.

Monday, March 21st, there is a meeting at the Broadview Public Library at 12755 Greenwood Avenue North with SDOT concerning traffic calming.

Our next meeting is Wednesday, April 20, 2011. The meeting adjourned at 8:45 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Ellen M. Beck, Secretary

Welcome | Local Interest | Neighborhood in Action
Community Council | Currents Newsletter | Links